Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday Southern Supper

 
 
 
 
Start off you meal with a pretty table. You really do eat with your eyes first. If it doesn't look good, chances are it's not going to taste good.
 
 
 
 Dried Lima beans are so easy to cook. Rinse a pound of dry beans really well in a colander.

 Put in a large pot and cover with water. Beans will swell and expand while cooking so you want plenty of room in your pot to allow for this. Add a stick of butter. You could use 3-4 slices of bacon if you wanted. Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until beans are tender. About 2-3 hours.

 
I like to cook my beans until the soup is thick is creamy.
 
 
Coleslaw goes so well with dried beans. Finely chop half a head of cabbage. Put in mixing bowl and add 3 tablespoons of dill relish and half cup of good mayonnaise. Stir together well. Being the airhead I am sometimes I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. But when my 6 year old grandson says "Grams, this is so good", I know I have a winner.
 

 
Salt and pepper pork chops.
 


Dust with flour and set aside. I like to season my flour with salt and pepper also. For a little kick, add a dash of cayenne pepper.

 
 
Heat small amount of vegetable or canola oil in pan. Add a little bit of butter. When melted, carefully add pork chops to hot oil. Fry in batches. Do not overcrowd pan. If you put too many in the pan it will only steam them and they will not cook to a golden brown.
 
 
 
Brown well on each side. These don't take long to cook. About 3 minutes per side or until golden. Remove to a heat proof pan or plate. Cover with foil tent to keep warm until time to serve.
 
Serve with fresh from the oven cornbread, caramelized onions for pork chops, mac & cheese, sweet tea and finish the meal with Graham Cracker cake with chocolate sauce and fresh whipped cream.
 
I hope you enjoy these meals as much as I enjoy preparing them for my family.
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment