Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Homemade Mashed Potato Pancakes

I learned to make these from my mother. She always told me to start with cold, leftover mashed potatoes. If you use freshly made mashed potatoes they will not come out. Typically I have about 2-3 cups leftover potatoes. Why? When there is only 2 of us? I'm so used to cooking for a large number of people. Growing up I learned to cook for 7 people. Then I raised 2 big sons. So, trying to cut down on quantity has been difficult. But, no worries, these are good leftover as well.
I don't have an exact written down recipe. But....
In a medium bowl, add leftover potatoes. Add one beaten egg, diced onion, (you decide how much you like.) I use about 1/2 cup. Stir in flour. Not too much or they will come out like bread. Maybe 1/2 cup. Start with 1/4 cup. Stir well. Salt and pepper to taste. You want them to be stiff. Now heat oil in a non stick fry pan. I like my black cast iron skillet but it is well seasoned and food does not stick.  Add enough oil to cover bottom of pan well. I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the potatoes. It keeps them equal in size so they will cook evenly. Drop by scoop full into hot oil. Brown well and carefully turn over and brown well on other side. They will be hot throughout.
We like them plain but you can top them with sour cream if you like.
Hope you enjoy as much as we do.
ps.  these can be made up in the morning, refrigerated, and cooked for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment