Sunday, July 31, 2016

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Biscuits



Now mind you, I'm not an oatmeal lover. I like oatmeal cookies, I like oatmeal cake, I like oatmeal in my granola bars. But to eat cooked oatmeal for breakfast, no thanks. I know, it's supposed to be good for you and help lower your cholesterol. Still, I'm not a fan. Then this morning, after I woke up, I was thinking what can I make and bake different for breakfast. I kept thinking about the oatmeal cake that I do like. So I figured, why not try to combine the best of two worlds. Oatmeal cake and biscuits. The finished product was amazing. Here, let me tell you how I did it.

1 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/4 cuo boiling water
1 cup brown sugar, packed

Pour boiling water over oatmeal. Stir in brown sugar, set aside.

3 1/2 cup self rising flour
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter, cold, cubed
1/4 - 1/2 cup buttermilk, if needed to moisten the dough

4 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together flour and salt. Cut cold butter into flour mixture until the size of peas. Stir in oatmeal mixture. Mix should be thick. If needed add buttermilk, small amounts at a time, to bring dough together. Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead a couple times being careful not to overwork dough, avoiding tough biscuits. Pat dough out until about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. If you don't have a biscuit cutter, use a drinking glass. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Add glaze if desired.

I desired so this is how I made the glaze.

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp water

Stir until mixed well and smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits. Let set.

No comments:

Post a Comment