Thursday, March 20, 2014

Old Classics Updated



Even the old classics need a facelift now and then. Meatloaf is one of my husbands favorites. I admit, I don't make it often. Sadly, I don't like meatloaf. Maybe it's the loaf in the name. I don't know. But, he loves it, so I try to make it for him. I will however eat "some" if I make it like this. Give it a try. If you like meatloaf, I think you will be happy you tried this one.



1-lb ground beef
1 egg
2 slices white bread soaked in milk
1 medium onion diced
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper
ketchup

Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Line a baking pan with foil. Spray with non-stick spray. Pour meat mixture onto pan and pat into a loaf. Coat with ketchup. Bake at 425º for about 45 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and pour a little more ketchup on top. Return to oven and bake about 20-25 more minutes. Ketchup will get set and get sticky from the sugars.

Roasted Squash.

There is only 2 of us for dinner so I only use 2 yellow squash. Scrub well. Cut in half lengthwise. Place on a foil lined pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with Tony Chacheres Creole seasoning. Dot each half with 1/2 Tbsp of butter. Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes until softened.


Update your green beans. I admit sometimes I use canned green beans when fresh is not available. But, you have to make them taste like fresh cooked green beans. Just a few ingredients you probably already have will make a huge difference.

1-38oz can cut green beans
3 slices of bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
1-15oz can diced tomatoes
1-2 cups beef broth
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter

Drain and rinse green beans. In a dutch oven, cook diced bacon until almost crispy. Add diced onion. Cook until tender. Stir in drained green beans, stir in tomatoes, juice also. Salt & pepper to taste. Add beef broth. You might not need it all. Add just enough to not quite cover beans. Cover with lid and let simmer about 45 mins. Remove lid and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add butter, stir in and let melt. This gives the beans a rich, velvety taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment